The power station of Tihange: historical
In the late 1960s Belgium chose nuclear power to produce part of its electricity. Electricity consumption was rapidly growing and fossil fuels were no longer able to meet the rising demand. Therefore the government decided to build 4 nuclear reactors in Doel and 3 in Tihange.
In 1968, Tihange 1 was ordered. The power station was commissioned in 1975, just in time to reduce Belgium’s dependence on oil. Tihange 2 went online in mid 1983 and Tihange 3 followed in 1985.
Tihange 1 is owned 50/50 by EDF and Electrabel. This cooperation between France and Belgium started with the construction of the Chooz nuclear power plant in France. Tihange 2 and 3 are largely owned by Electrabel (89.8%) and partly by EDF. Electrabel ensures the operation of the power stations to the highest levels of safety.
The power station is located on the right bank of the river Meuse, near Huy and 25 km south-west of Liège. The location meets all safety requirements. Prior to construction, numerous detailed studies were carried out as to the quality and stability of the soil, the availability of water from the Meuse, local weather conditions and the natural and human environment.
|Tihange 1||Tihange 2||Tihange 3|
|In service since||01/10/1975||01/06/1983||01/09/1985|
|Planned closure date||01/10/2025||01/02/2023||01/09/2025|
|Share of ENGIE Electrabel (%)||50||89,81||89,81|
|Employment||More then 1000 Electrabel employees and up to thousands of external employees each year|
News about Tihange
The nuclear power plants of Doel and Tihange attach great importance to the relationship with their surroundings. They have established consultation bodies to engage with all local stakeholders. Everyone who lives near the nuclear power plants, receives the community magazine Doelbewust / Tihange Contact.
Condition of the 3 units
Brochure nuclear power plant Tihange (FR) (pdf, 8.52 MB)