The power station of Doel: historical
In the late 1960s Belgium chose nuclear power to produce part of its electricity. The ever-increasing demand for energy could no longer be met by fossil fuels alone. Therefore the government decided to build 4 nuclear reactors in Doel and 3 in Tihange.
In 1968, Doel 1 and 2 were ordered. The surroundings of Doel were ideal because of the cooling water which could be extracted from the nearby Scheldt. The works started by creating 80 hectares of reclaimed polder area. The dykes were increased in height to 11 meters above sea level. Construction started in 1969 and in 1970 the first staff were recruited. The Doel 1 reactor was commissioned in early 1975 and later that year Doel 2 also followed. Doel 3 went online in 1982 and in mid 1985 Doel 4 was fully operational.
Doel 1 and 2 are fully owned by Electrabel. Doel 3 and 4 are largely owned by Electrabel (89.8%) and partly by EDF. Electrabel ensures the operation of the power stations to the highest levels of safety.
|Doel 1||Doel 2||Doel 3||Doel 4|
|In service since||15/02/1975||01/12/1975||01/10/1982||01/07/1985|
|Planned closure date||15/02/2025||01/12/2025||01/10/2022||01/07/2025|
|Share of ENGIE Electrabel (%)||100||100||89,81||89,81|
|Employment||More then 1000 Electrabel employees and up to thousands of external employees each year|
News about Doel
The nuclear power plants of Doel and Tihange attach great importance to the relationship with their surroundings. They have established consultation bodies to communicate with local representatives. Everyone who lives near the nuclear power plants, receives the community magazine Doelbewust / Tihange Contact.
Condition of the 4 units