Once all technical aspects were examined, the inspectors suspected that this was a deliberate manual action. Electrabel and the FANC lodged a complaint against unknown persons on 8 August 2014. Since this is relating to nuclear safety, the Federal Public Prosecutor's Office took over the matter. The investigation is still ongoing in the meantime.
The Doel 4 power station restarted on 19 December 2014. 600 people worked together intensively for the analysis, dismantling, repairs and the refurbishment of the steam turbine; an unseen process, which was completed within the planned deadline.
Since the events Electrabel has taken a number of additional safety measures:
- The number of cameras on the site of the nuclear power plant has dramatically increased
- Major installations are locked additionally
- In certain areas, staff are no longer allowed
- The access controls have become even stricter
- All staff were additionally sensitized to the security culture